"Rock Steady"
(Rock steady, you know what it means....it means the world is round like an orange, not flat like a pancake)
"We All Fit the Same"
(Mommy and daddy and Tara and Jackeliene and Jenni and Jaycee...we all fit the same, we all fit the same)
"Grand Old Dad"
(You're a grand old dad, your a short and fat dad, and forever you're hair will look baaaaaaad)
(this song was not about my dad. I think it was about an ugly paperdoll)
and who could forget:
"Fart-Knocker"
(You're a fart knocker, beef hawker, and a rodeo go south, a rodeo go south south south)
True, a lot of my songs made little or no sense in those days. Rock steady does not mean the world is round like an orange, and I have no idea what a beef hawker is, or what a fart-knocker has to do with a rodeo going south south south. But I sang these songs over and over. They brought me hours of enjoyment, minutes at a time.
And now, I find myself singing random songs to Bella. Every moment brings about another song lyric. Since she was old enough to sit in the tub I serenaded her with "Lean Back-baby in the bath remix" (My babies don't dance, they just pull off their pants and scrub the dirt away, now lean back, lean back lean back...and here I would lean her head under the faucet to rinse out the shampoo). And potty training brought about "Pee Pee in the Potty" (Go pee pee in the potty, then you can wash your body). Then there was "Bella's Lullaby" (Bella, Bella, go to sleep my dear, and when the morning comes, you'll wake up, and I will be here for you, you, yoooooooou). For everything, another song.
More recently, as I was trying to play Farmville and entertain her at the same time, I wrote "Bock Bock Chicken"
"Bock bock chicken
Bock bock bock chicken
There's a mouse in the house
and a bock bock chicken"
Bella loved it. She started asking me to sing it all the time. She would add animals for me to sing about ("mommy, do cow..do kitty cat), and sometimes even colors ("mommy, sing purple"). The other day that song was the first thing out of her mouth when she woke up. Brian thinks my songs are annoying, but loves "Bock Bock Chicken" when Bella sings it, and thinks I should make an album of songs for children. But for now, these songs are just to get us through the mundane tasks of each day, and to distract my children when I need a little Farmville time.

2 comments:
Aw I love it :) Very clever my dear! Who knows, maybe someday my kids will be jamming out to your songs ;)
Hey lady :) I remember your songs of course. We all wrote songs I think. I still compose spontaneous ditties much to the enjoyment and confusion of my friends. I love and miss you so much!
Post a Comment