Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"I want to hike Diamond Head...Me too, let's do it tomorrow."

Hooray for something interesting! It has been far too long. Or maybe not. Interesting things have happened, I just haven't been in the mood to write about it.

Anyway, I finally hiked Diamond Head. The other day Coralyn and I decided we wanted to hike. The conversation went something like this: "I want to hike Diamond Head...Me too, let's do it tomorrow." So we did, because if we hadn't done it the next day we probably would have never done it.

I've heard horror stories, but the hike was definitely not as bad as I had thought. The stairs were rough, but I think more so just because they were small and looking at so many stairs kind of confuses your brain. I had to start taking them 2 at a time in some spots just so I didn't trip over myself. We did the grapevine on the way down, which seemed to make it easier.


We got stopped for a photo op with an Asian tourist before hitting the stairs. I thought she was asking us to take a picture of her and her husband, but then she posed with us. That has happened on more than one occasion here.


About an hour or so later, we made it to the top. The view was definitely worth the work.

On the way down, the backs of our feet kept getting caught on the stairs (which is when we decided to grapevine), we stopped to eat our lunch (my sandwich was way better because it wasn't soggy lol), and Coralyn made friends with a bug. When we finished our hike we rewarded ourselves with shaved ice in Watermelon, Pineapple, and Strawberry.


This hike definitely made me feel guilty for staying inside so often. There is so much out there I am missing out on. My new New Year's resolution is to be more adventurous. So weather-permitting, I might go to the beach today. I haven't been in a few months. Kind of ridiculous when the ocean is figuratively in your back yard.

Coralyn and I also signed up for the March of Dimes walk here in April. If anyone at all reads this and wants to donate, you can click the fundraiser badge to find out how:

No comments: