And in the midst of my thoughts of imperfection, specifically while wondering if there is a way to get my ears to match, I look at Bella. I spend a lot of time just staring at her. Not in a creepy way. More like an artist examining their work. But I never see any flaws. She is my perfect masterpiece.

I think about how someday she might hate her chubby cheeks, or the little cleft in her chin. She might spot a freckle and wish it away. She might think her thighs are too big, or her lips are too thin. And I will tell her how beautiful she is, and she won't believe it (although I pray that she does).
I think about all the times my mom told me I was beautiful. "You're just saying that because you're my mom and you have to." But now I know that she meant it every time. And now I know to just accept it and believe it. Not everything needs to be changed. "You are so beautiful just the way you are."

No comments:
Post a Comment